Friday, October 26, 2012

Meals: My Perfect Breakfast

When I think of the most important meal of the day, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and advocate that you don't EVER start a day without breakfast. It's not even a bandwagon, honestly. It truly helps you get going and have energy throughout the day. That said, what should go into a breakfast?

I believe a solid breakfast starts with a good amount of rich carbohydrates and protein. Some takes on it involve pancakes and sausage or things like that. For us, non meat-eaters, we'll do yogurts, eggs, and even tofu for breakfast.

Every day, my breakfast looks something like this:
I wake up at 5:30 and typically am done eating by 6. Before I eat, I do a 4-minute Tabata Session and then I drink 16oz of ice cold water, which gets your metabolism to wake up, and start "cooking" breakfast.
Breakfast:

  • 1 mug (12oz.) coffee
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned or steel cut oats (NOT quick oats or instant)
  • 1/4 cup berries
  • 1/4 cup miller's bran or 2tbsp wheat germ.
  • 1/2 banana sliced
  • 6oz container of plain Greek yogurt (NOT vanilla)

Nutrition Information (Approximates)
  • Measures: 1/2c Oats, 6oz Chobani Plain Greek, 1/4c Shiloh Farms Organic Unprocessed Coarse Bran, 1/4c Frozen Blueberries, 1/2 banana, 12 oz. coffee.
  • Calories: 352
  • Fat: 3.7g
  • Cholesterol: 0
  • Sodium: 92mg
  • Carbohydrates: 63g
  • Fiber: 12.3g
  • Protein: 26.75g
  • Sugar: 17.8g

This runs you a decent balance of carbs, protein, natural sugars, and fiber - good enough that I'm not hungry again for several hours and it provides me with a good amount of nutrients to start my day.

Some good links about breakfast:

Some alternatives to this breakfast I've done:
  • Other types of fruit, dry or fresh
  • Honey instead of bananas
  • Peanut butter
  • Walnuts or almonds instead of bran or wheat germ
  • Egg whites instead of yogurt - then I wont add fruit
  • Cocoa powder. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment