Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Memoir: Why did I decide to lose?

I woke up one morning in November of 2011 and realized I needed a change. I had just exited an unhealthy relationship, was heavier than I ever was at 227 lbs, couldn't move, and didn't feel comfortable in my own skin. The holidays were coming up, and I figured I'm going to indulge one last time, and I did. I recall eating two turkey legs, 4 pieces of ham, and a large bowl of potatoes for Thanksgiving, plus desserts.

I decided to go for a New Year Resolution - something that I never followed through with. I wanted to lose 27 lbs, and be at an even 200. It was a small goal and I used the months of November and December to figure out what the best way to do it is. I found a common piece of advice that wouldn't pose a huge sacrifice for me: Instead of drinking soda and juice, drink water - and drink 6-10 8oz. glasses of it per day. That's 3-5 bottles of water, or 1.5-2.5 fills of the water bottle I so religiously carry with me almost anywhere I am. I ended up averaging at 2 fills per day, one in the morning and one in the evening.

I mentioned the unhealthy relationship I was in, and one thing that I had began doing again in that relationship was eating meat, as my partner ate meat and encouraged me to do so. This was another sacrifice I made. I don't recall having enjoyed the taste of meat, or the feeling it left me with after eating it. That said, I am not a vegan as I still eat yogurt and eggs, nor am I a vegetarian as I still eat fish - I actually ate at a sushi buffet on Sunday night.

I had then set up target weights. I was thinking that 27 lbs was doable within a year, and I had set the goal of 40 lbs for a lifetime. I started with my "last indulging meal" before embarking on this quest at a Dunkin Donuts, where I ate two bagels with egg and cheese, a large latte, and a Boston Creme donut. I did this with the idea that I would do it, or something similar again at the 27 lb mark. I finished the rest of the day with water, and had a salad with balsamic vinegar (NOT vinaigrette) for dinner.

In January, my phone had broken, and with it I lost the last picture I took of myself before I started this. The only pictures I have are from last August and September.

I might be smiling here, but I wasn't happy. I was still in a bad relationship, I was obese... I couldn't even tell you what my life was like at this stage. I don't even think I was aware of it.

Today, is a different me.

Today, is a healthy me.

If this is of your interest at all, please follow this blog and I'll have posted up how in under 10 months (the following image was taken in September), I went from that to this:


I will always keep these pants as a reminder. They were once tight on me. I've lost 76 lbs in 10 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment