Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What "Healthy eating" means to me.

We've all heard about diets, and that you should do this or that to lose weight. Atkins does this, South Beach does that, Paleo does something else, blah, blah, blah. What the most important thing is something that each of these have to offer, but none of them will EVER tell you - None of them apply to everybody. None.

"Healthy eating" is different for everybody. I'm not a scientist. I'm not a nutritionist. I'm a human being, and I eat food. I need nutrients. Healthy eating is eating the foods that make you feel your best (Not necessarily that make your taste buds feel the best). This will be different for everybody, which is why some people are lactose intolerant and others are not, some can't handle fish or nuts, others can survive on a steady diet of bacon and french fries. Fish and vegetables do it for me. I haven't gotten sick, even with a cold since I started this diet, knock on wood, I'll wake up tomorrow with the worst flu I've ever gotten for blabbing my tongue here. (EDIT: Nov. 2, I took off of work, sick...)

The point is, you have to know what makes you feel great. Try diets, try limiting your intake of this or that and exacerbating your intake of other things. See what makes you feel better. You'll know when you're eating better as rising from bed will be a joy rather than a chore. I wake up at 5:30AM, jump out of bed and work out. Why? Not because it makes me healthy, but because I feel great enough to do that. Now, I'm not going to try and convince people they should eat a certain way, beyond this single tip: Eat whole foods. In other words, don't eat processed garbage (often, that is. I still eat Oreo's and chips).

Other than that, eat what you enjoy and what makes you feel good. Take thoughtful consideration into how you feel after you eat something. How do you feel through the day? How do you feel through the week? Don't be afraid to eat junk once in a while. I love dark chocolate, ice cream, frozen berries with whipped cream, brownies, cookies, cake, and beer. Do I stop any of these? Not at all, but I don't eat them every day. I also keep track of my calories, so that I know whether I can cheat or not.

At the end of the day, what's going to keep you motivated is not a diet with regulations that you would never normally follow. What will keep you motivated is finding healthy foods that you love and consuming them and eating so that you're no longer hungry, rather than eating until you're full. "Healthy eating" is overrated in the sense that there's no magic formula for it. Your body will tell you what you should and shouldn't be eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment