Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Memoir: January 2012

January 2012; My goal for the month was to drop 10 lbs. I thought that it was a feasible goal, but I sure did underestimate myself. I mentioned previously that my goal for the entirety of the year was going to be 27lbs, and after reading some articles stating that typically the first month of a diet that you stick to, you lose more weight than in the months to come. Especially considering the more body weight you have, the harder your BMR works just to maintain it - though fat much less than muscle.

Anyway, to get started I was suggested to sign up for Livestrong.com's "My Plate" calorie tracker (Which, ten months down the line, I still use daily). You can add me if you're on it here: http://www.livestrong.com/profile/jscogz/. I entered my information and started tracking my calories to lose 1 lb per week. That, in conjunction with getting advice on what to eat as alternatives to meat and staying away from high levels of sodium, I made some excellent progress.

The first day of my diet (January 2nd) doesn't accurately describe the types of foods that I was eating during the first month, so I'll outline Day 2 at the bottom of this post. Don't worry, I wont outline every day of my eating here. It's tedious to read and write. I will, however, intermittently post some of the straight up healthier days that I've had as well as my cheat days.

So dieting, drinking a lot of water etc. by the end of the week, I dropped 8 lbs. I was absolutely shocked that on from January 2, 2012 to January 9, 2012, I went from 227lbs to 219.4lbs. My 1-month goal of 10 lbs became a "target" weight, and 20 lbs. became my reach. I now had confidence to hit 40 lbs for the entire year. Week 2, I started to work out.

My workout involved waking up half an hour early. I used to wake up at 6 AM. Today, my alarm is set at 5:15 AM. When I first decided to workout, I was waking up at 5:30 AM, going for a jog around the parking lot near my apartment for about 15 minutes, breakfast, shower, etc.

After work, I'd come home and do Tae Bo Cardio every day until I couldn't do it anymore. I started with 9.5 minutes after the warmup. The last time I did that particular workout, I went through the whole thing after a 3-mile run and still had enough energy to get through half of the P90x Yoga video. It's amazing how much progress you can make with baby steps.

Back to January, I kept up with the diet throughout except for my birthday. I indulged in a 2300 calorie day! That was good, but I got right back on track the next day. A movie that made an impact on me that month was Forks Over Knives. Some might call it a big advertisement for Whole Foods Markets, but if you take that out of context and look at "whole foods" being what they are, non-processed foods - it's a good flick. I didn't go vegan, nor do I plan to, but the whole "Pescatarianism" thing is working out really well for me.
NOTE: I have one post planned after this, for breakfast ideas. Then I'll be posting up less frequently.

Start: January 2, 2012: 227 lbs.
End: February 1, 2012: 209.6 lbs.
Loss: 17.4 lbs. 7.4lbs over my target for the month.

Food Log: January 3, 2012
Breakfast:
  • 3/4 cup Quaker Oats
  • 10 raspberries
  • 1 mug coffee with creamer
    • 400 calories
    • 16g fat (Mostly from the creamer)
    • 11.5mg sodium
    • 93.25 carbohydrates (Mostly from the creamer)
    • 6.9g fiber
    • 8.42g protein
    • 11.66g sugar
Morning snack:
  • 1/4 cup walnuts
    • 164 calories
    • 16g fat
    • 3.4 carbs
    • 1.7 fiber
    • 3.8 protein

Lunch:
  • 1 can Cambell's Select Harvest Tomato with Basil soup
    • 200 calories
    • 960mg sodium
    • 44g carbohydrates
    • 4g fiber
    • 6g protein
    • 24g sugar
Dinner:
  • 6oz grilled salmon
  • 1/2 cup brown rice
  • 1cup black beans
  • 5 green olives
  • 3/4cup cranberry juice
  • pinch of salt
    • 800 calories
    • 25g fat
    • 106mg cholesterol
    • 717mg sodium
    • 86g carbohydrates
    • 16.6g fiber
    • 55.2g protein
    • 23g sugar

Dessert
  • 2 Uh-Oh Oreo Cookies
    • 102 calories
    • 4.2g fat
    • 78mg sodium
    • 14g carbohydrates
    • .6g fiber
    • 7.2g sugars

Total for the day:
  • 1664/2519 calories
  • 62/82g fat
  • 107/378mg cholesterol
  • 1767/3023mg sodium
  • 241g/378g carbohydrates
  • 30/31g fiber
  • 73/63g protein
  • 67g sugar
  • 7 glasses of water (Not enough)

No comments:

Post a Comment