Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Recipe: Grains Salad!!!

Sorry! I haven't been updating this as I've been busy with work upon coming back from Thanksgiving!

As a "new" vegetarian, this year I decided to make something a bit less traditional for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm bringing a grains salad to my parents, which is somewhat of my own recipe, but mostly a synthesis of a few recipes I've read online. No, I'm not bothering to post up nutrition fats. It's the holidays, and I'm not keeping track of every little thing again until Monday. Then again the week before Christmas, it's going to happen again.

Anyway, here's the ingredients list:
  • 1c Barley
  • 1/2c Quinoa (Tri Color if you want some color. I tend to use plain)
  • 1/4" slice of sweet onion (Red onion if you want color), chopped
  • 2 cans low-sodium vegetable broth 
  • 3c black beans
  • 1c Mixed vegetables to taste. Make sure they're finely cut. Things like carrots, lima beans, corn, etc. If you don't want to add mixed vegetables, you can add more beans, onions, or another single vegetable. Completely up to you.
  • 3tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Parsley to taste
  • Salt to taste
Boil vegetable broth and equal parts water and mix the barley in. Cook until the outside it tender, but still hard on the inside.
Add in the black beans, chopped onions, and any other vegetables you want to add.
Bring water to a boil, drain MOST of the water / broth out, and drop to lowest heat settings.
Add in quinoa, oil, parsley, and salt (I don't think salt is necessary, but some do).

Cover and let sit for about 20 minutes.
That's it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment